The Civic Club - Whisky Rebellion

 

THE WHISKY REBELLION
THE REASON BEHIND THE FORMATION OF THE CIVIC CLUB

Dissatisfaction gave rise to the formation of the Civic Club in Hobart on the 2nd of December 1911. The problem arose when members of the Commercial Travellers Association Club requested the Secretary to secure for the bar 'Dewars' whisky. However, the Secretary declined to oblige and continued to arrange bulk supplies of whisky which could be purchased more cheaply .

Thirty seven gentlemen were present at a meeting held in the 'Cafe National' rooms at 119 Macquarie Street. where it was agreed that a new club should be formed. It commenced operations in the same rooms which were in the basement of the National Mutual building. Since then the club has changed venues twice, first in July 1923 when it moved to 138-140 Macquarie Street. These premises were purchased at a cost of 5000 pounds. When the building was sold in 1972, it realised $115000. In the same year the Club moved to its present site at 134 Davey Street.

John Shegog, Life Member